After being in the furniture industry for quite some time, I had forgotten that buying a sofa can be a daunting task. I was recently talking to a friend who lost an entire night’s sleep before her sofa shopping day began. She was terrified of making a mistake that she would have to live with for many years to come. It doesn’t have to be that difficult. It just takes a little prioritizing.
Most important to consider are Quality, Comfort, Style & Price. Now before you start shopping, put these four categories in order of importance and stick to it. This will help you from making an impulsive decision that doesn’t fit your long term needs.
- The first stop you should make is to our Style Finder, to determine what will fit your lifestyle best.
- Have a budget and give yourself a cushion if you just have to have a certain piece.
- Think about your lifestyle. A small space requires a smaller couch. Lots of guests may require a sleeper sofa.
- Visualize your dream living space. Want to be traditional? Lush, dark solids create a warm look. Thinking more modern classic? Less fancy leg- or arm-work in neutral colors stands the test of time. Or is your taste more modern? New fabrics, bright colors or patterns, and retro-modern shapes are hot now.
- Sit all the way back in the corner of every prospective sofa. See how it feels. Your feet should touch the floor, and you shouldn’t sink so far that you need a hand getting out.
- Stretch out like you do at home to get a sense of how the two of you will fit on the sofa.
- Test the height of the arms and check for the right amount of padding on the arm rests. If the back is finished as well as the front, a good craftsman has been at work.
- Consider whether or not you would like the back cushions to be attached or loose. Attached cushions tend to keep their shape longer, while loose cushions provide a custom support.
- Lastly, test the quality by simply attempting to lift up the sofa. A quality sofa will be difficult to lift.
If you have more tips that helped you to make a great sofa buying decision, please leave them in the comments below.