It’s coming…it’s on its way…it’s almost here! It’s the 4th of July! And it’s our only true summer holiday and a great reason to celebrate. I think we are all thankful for the country in which we live; and commemorating the birth of our country is a time to reflect, decorate, and whoop it up!
Start NOW! Independence Day is only a couple of days away so let’s get going! Here are some quick, inexpensive decorating ideas to help with the festivities!
- Use fabric yardage in shades of red, white, and blue (sheers, cotton prints, or shiny lamé) to create swags. Hang swags in doorways, along the edge of the dining or buffet table, or along stair railings. Add twinkly, white lights to add a touch of pizzazz.
- Hang cardstock stars in different sizes from the ceiling. Scrapbook paper is perfect for this fun element. It comes in solid matte colors, prints, shiny and sparkly finishes. Use fishing line and push pins and hang them at different heights.
- Quote our founding fathers and honored Presidents! Make banners on rolled paper with famous quotes by George, Ben, Abe, etc., “Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, upon this continent, a new nation…” Or how about quoting the Declaration of Independence, “We Hold These Truths to be Self Evident” or “Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness”? Use a wide, chisel-tip marker to make calligraphy letters. Hang the banners above doorways or tape them to the floor as a symbol of the foundation of our country.
- Finish your look by dressing up your table. A couple of yards of red or blue netting over a white table-cloth make an interesting backdrop for a beautiful tablescape. Bunch up the netting in places where white plates and napkins rest. Wired star garlands in silver, red, and blue make great napkin rings or embellishments for clear glass vases or wine glasses.
- Use fresh strawberries and blueberries on long skewers to add color to crisp white floral arrangements. Make the food part of the decor.
Associate Member, IDS